Idioms

Started by NKP250522, Feb 26, 2024, 08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NKP250522

What is an idiom?

An idiom is a word or phrase that is not taken literally. 
An idiom is an expression that cannot be understood from the meanings of its individual words, but has a separate meaning of its own.

Colours and Emotions:

Different colours can be used to portray different emotions or moods when speaking in English. Here are a few common colour and emotion combinations:

English Idiom – Green-eyed monster.

MeaningJealousy or envy. This phrase is often used to describe the feeling of intense jealousy that one might experience when someone else possesses something that they desire, such as a skill, possession, or success.

The idiom originates from Shakespeare's play "Othello," where the character Iago says, "O, beware, my lord, of jealousy; it is the green-eyed monster which doth mock the meat it feeds on."

The colour green has traditionally been associated with envy, as in the phrase green with envy. The idea of a monster suggests that jealousy can be a destructive and consuming emotion that can control a person's thoughts and actions. It's often not a positive emotion to experience or express.

Usage:

When could you use this idiom?

1. Your ex has a wonderful new partner.
2. A neighbour has just taken delivery of a brand new sports car.
3. Your colleague at work has been given a generous pay-rise and promotion.
4. A rival football team has just won a prestigious cup!

Example:

"When Augustina saw the stunning dress her sister bought for the party, she felt the green-eyed monster creeping up on her."

NKP250522

Idiom – Green fingers.

MeaningThis expression is used to describe someone who is a highly skilled gardener.

This expression is British English and is common in the UK and Australia. In the US a skilled gardener would be more commonly known as a green thumb.

Idioms with the Colour Green:
1. Green – Paper money.
2. Green about the gills – To feel nauseous.
3. Green as grass – Very green.
4. Green as a gooseberry – To be very young or inexperienced.
5. Green light – To give someone permission to proceed with something.
6. Green-eyed monster – Jealousy.

Usage:

a) You visit an amazing garden.
b) Somebody is teaching you how to look after plants.
c) You are watching a television program about gardening.
d) A friend is an expert gardener!

Example:
"Your garden is humongous but it looks amazing! You definitely have green fingers!"

English Idiom – Tickled pink.

MeaningExtremely pleased. To be delighted about something. Very amused or entertained by something.

More Colour Idioms:
1. Black market – Illegal trading of goods or services.
2. Caught red-handed – Caught in the act of doing something illegal or dishonest.
3. Green fingers – Somebody with green fingers (or green thumbs in the US) is good at gardening.
4. Grey area – A situation where the rules are not clear.
5. In somebody's black books – Out of favour with somebody.
6. Once in a blue moon – Very rarely.
7. Paint the town red – Go out and have a party or celebration of some sort.
8. Silver spoon – Somebody born with a silver spoon (in their mouth) is born wealthy or privileged.
9. White flag – Surrender.

Usage:

a) Your partner has proposed to you.
b) Somebody has done something very nice for you.
c) You won some money in a competition.
d) You got an A+ in an English exam!

Example:
"I was tickled pink when they bought me a wonderful graduation present!"

English Idiom – Feel Blue.

MeaningTo feel sad or depressed. This expression can be used to describe any unhappy feeling you may have.

Related Expressions:
1. Down in the mouth – Idiom
2. Once in a blue moon – Idiom

Usage:

a) You are generally feeling depressed because things are not going well.
b) It has been raining for a week and it shows no sign of stopping.
c) You have failed all of your exams and need to take them again.

Example:
"My brother is feeling blue at the moment because he has to drop out of university. It's just too expensive for him."

English Idiom – Yellow-belly.

MeaningTo be a coward or easily scared. This expression is used to describe a person who is not brave.

This expression can also be used in the form yellow-bellied.

Idioms with the Colour Yellow:
1. Code yellow – This expression is used when somebody has accidentally urinated in a place other than the toilet.
2. Yellow brick road – A path to success.
3. Yellow light – Slow down or proceed with caution.
4. Yellow streak – Similar to yellow-belly, this expression is used to describe a person with a tendency to be scared easily.

Usage:

a) Somebody is too frightened to perform an action.
b) You are trying to convince somebody to be brave.
c) A person is afraid to stand up and make a speech.
d) Your friend is nervous about asking somebody out on a date.

Example:
"You've liked John for ages. Stop being such a yellow-belly and ask him out for dinner!"

English Idiom – Once in a blue moon.

MeaningVery rarely or almost never. If something happens once in a blue moon it happens very infrequently.

The blue moon in this expression has nothing to do with the colour blue. In astronomy a blue moon is the third full moon in a season of four full moons. Seasons (in astronomy) are 3 months long so a fourth moon in a season is a rare event – actually about once every 3 years.

If you are feeling blue (idiom) it means that you are feeling sad.

Example:
"I just bought myself a fancy new coffee maker. I don't know why, I only drink a cup of Joe once in a blue moon!"